Saturday, March 13, 2010

Google, Kansas



Okay so I really haven't been paying attention to the news and wathing CNN what with all the last minute writing due before the break, but this is something I really should have known. Kansas, my beautiful and wonderful state, went off without telling me and changed the name of the state capital to GOOGLE. What?

Okay, so, apparently this is all part of an attempt to vie for Google's attention in being selected as one of the cities involved in their Fiber for Communites program. Google is going to provide broadban for select cities that will make the internet than 100x faster than usual with data transfer rates faster than 1 gigabit per second.

I can understand the desire to have faster internet, but dude. I go away for a little bit and you just go up change something I've grown up with. You can't just do that. It's just too freakin' bizarre. Then it raise a bunch of ethical questions about the growing commercialization of our society. What's next? Starbucksville. WalMartia. Circuit City City.

No comments:

Post a Comment