Sunday, August 29, 2010

Movie: 127 Hours



In high school I was involved in Forensics, which is a form of competitive public speaking. I would do the acting events like Humorous Interpretation (HI), Dramatic Interpretation (DI), and Duo Interpretation. DI are 10 minute monologues interpreted from published works. The cliche is that a DI is based on the story on some variety of being a gay, female, minority, junkie raped and now awaiting the electric chair. In fact, my junior year I played a cripple coming out of the closet to his brother over dinner.

But my senior year I did a book, "Between a Rock and a Hard Place," a story about nature lover, Aron Ralston, who, while hiking and mountian climbing through Utah, became trapped in a canyon with his right arm trapped under a fallen bolder. 127 Hours refers to how long he was trapped down there before [SPOILER ALERT!!!] he has to cut the arm off with dull utility blade. It greats pretty intense. They don't allude to it very much in the trailer, but, after day 2 when he starts to run out of water, he starts tripping pretty badly.

James Franco is an amazing actor. I kind of really want to see the movie, but at the same time I know Franco is going to kick my ass with his portrayal.

No comments:

Post a Comment