Tuesday, December 21, 2010

"Season of Over-Indulgence" Campaigns

Have you noticed all of these ad campaigns leading up through the Christmas season that keep promoting this phrase "season of over-indulgence"?

First there's this campaign for Pepto:


Then Acura really hit it hard. This is like a montage to all the different ads they had using the phrase:


I just bring it up, because, although they say it like this is a commonly understood description of the season, I don't think I've ever heard the phrase before this. I mean I've heard the priest stand up at the pulpit and preach on the trouble of an overly commercialized, secular season and how we need to focus more on the religious origins. But I really don't think I heard this described as a season of over indulgence before.

I think it's kind of cool though. The campaigns aren't just promoting their own products, but they are creating a much needed mentality in consumers that this is the season to spend, spend, spend. This is certainly a mentality retailers need from consumers in light of all that has happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment