Sunday, January 23, 2011

Leadership Iowa University - Mentor

I was able to meet with my LIU mentor, Joe Pietruszynski, the other day. He is the Vice President of Development for Hubbell Realty. With such a prominent corporate position, I was surprised to see such a young face. He must have been only in his 30's, and yet it was remarkable to hear all that he had accomplished. His education background is in engineering, and it was his large suggestion that if I hope to enter into development that I do the same. I was sort of afraid that would be his advice. Drake doesn't have an Engineering department, which has been somewhat of a contentious point for me. Everyone of my close, male friends from high school entered into engineering in some form, and an absence of any gear-head presence around me has been slightly unusual.

People say that you should pursue your dream no matter what and with that might argue I should start shopping around for a new school that would cover my major. But those people also usually have the comfort of not seeing money as a factor and would be okay with the idea of spending tens of thousands of dollars on half an education only to go off and spend tens of thousands more on a new one. Something people also say that I prefer is that it really doesn't matter what you majored in in college. I may not be a construction expert at this point in my life, but an Accounting major has given me ability to analysis equity and assess the cost of major project like the construction of a development. So that's got to be a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment